Me and My Family

Me and My Family

19 November, 2011

What happened the them? uh hmmm... I mean us.

I am on Facebook way too much I admit. If I spent as much time exercising as I do on facebook, I would be skinny, and in good shape. Of course I have not yet mastered this technique. I'll work on that.

While on Facebook recently I noticed a friend of mine (who(m)? I graduated with from High school) had posted a bunch of pictures from the 25th class reunion of the Class of 86...woo hooo.

I started looking through the pictures and I have to admit there were some I did NOT recognize at all. Some I recognized but couldn't put a name to and some who I recognized immediately. My underlying thought though was, "what in the world happened to all of them?!" Then I groaned, got up, went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror, and there is was! Looking right back at me. REALITY! And so with a little dose of humility and a big helping of dissatisfaction I had to admit the same thing that had happened to them had also happened to me. What the Hay?!!!!

I started to wonder how many of them (all of whom were smiling ear to ear in all the pictures) were sick? How many of them have had to deal with grief yet? How many of them were not where they wanted to be in life? How many of them have had to or are currently fighting for their own life? How many of them have realized their dreams? How many of them are living the life they wanted, or thought they would? How many of them have ever left Wisconsin? How many of them haven't? How many of them still party likes its 1999? Or 1986? lol
How many?
Does it matter?
I don't know. I'll never know the answers to my questions because with the exception of my friend who posted the pictures, I really don't stay in touch with any of them. After all, I live in a foreign country as far as many of them are concerned. I probably have more in common with many of them now than I did in High School. I don't know though.
Well, it's all part of life. It seems reasonable that I am the age I am, but when I think of others being my age, or getting older I can't grasp it.
At the same time I sometimes feel like I haven't gotten older, only my kids are getting older. I just look different, don't have as much fun, am fatter, and less active than I was a long time ago. hahaha
All that said....life goes on.
Love you all...thanks for reading.
Dani

1 comment:

  1. Some of the stories I've heard from our classmates are heartbreaking. Illness and grief have not evaded us. Your commentary reminded me of the feeling I get when I'm in a crowded room of strangers. I stare at the faces and wonder, "Does he beat his wife?" "Is her mother in hospice?" "Did he beat cancer?" "Is she an alcoholic?" My mind spins.

    The truth is we all have baggage, just in different forms. Some baggage is comprised of burdens we still have to manage - like you. And John. Others have been able to (at least temporarily) lighten the load so that only the carcass of the bag remains; the burden has long been dressed and packaged. I am also reminded that it is through these bags and burdens that we learn to live more fully, love more dearly and embrace a God who so desperately wants a face-to-face relationship with us. I am thankful for the carcasses I carry, do not relish the thought of the burden I will lift, and know that I have someone shouldering most of it, every step of the way. As do you, dear cousin, and I'm so glad you know...

    ReplyDelete