Me and My Family

Me and My Family

30 July, 2010

Surgery April 26, 2010

So, the day has arrived! I went to the hospital Sunday actually so I would be there and rested Monday morning. I had John there and my mom came to town to be with us and help John at home while I would spend the next week in the hospital!
Before that though, let me back up...Saturday I had to PREP again with that dreaded magnesium citrate! Need I say more? I didn't think so. Thank you for reading between the lines on that one.
So off I went Sunday. I had visitors that night and began having bad chest pains. I fear I must have appeared and behaved like I didn't want company, but my chest was hurting and making me feel sick to my stomach. So, the minute the company left I rang for the nurse. She came promptly to my room and I told her about my pain. I told her it had been hurting for almost two hours. They called my Doc and he order an EKG.
So I got hooked up to all sorts of little square tape things and wires. More about the tape another time.
The results were fine so they offered me some anti-anxiety meeds. I think I took them, but don't trust my overloaded memory to say for sure. All I know for sure and for certain at this time is That I loathe magnesium citrate. Did I mention I hate it?
So Monday comes and I get prepped for surgery.
I went to surgery.
I returned to my room after surgery.
There were already flowers in my room!
I was so out of it. It turns out I don't react well to morphine, and after the first three days my vein gave up and the nurses had to switch my IV to the other arm. That day I remember well because they took the first IV out and I was without ANY meds for over an hour. Then they removed my catheter and wanted me to pee. Hahaha. That meant getting out of bed! Oh boy I did it (got out of bed) but only after they brought the commode close to the bed. No luck eliminating which meant reinserting a new catheter. Not as bad as one might think. But I might be weird that way because I also don't think mammograms are that bad either.
So I worked my way back to bed to try and get comfortable. Having to hold a folded blanket against my sore and limp stomach the whole time. All I could think about was how all my hard abdominal work over the course of the winter was GONE!!!
And to top it off my Doctor wouldn't take any of excess stomach fat with him in surgery. So disappointed about that.
Well all good things come to an end I guess...but only temporarily. My plan was to get back to working out as soon as I was able.
My stay in the hospital went well actually, I received SO many flowers and plants, and other goodies while there. Also I had wonderful company, and let me not forget the beautiful quilt my friend Audrey made for me. I will enclose a picture soon as I haven't got access to it now.
So I will write more about the hospital soon. Taking a break for now.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read THE of your "story" !!! I wish I could be there to help/support you !!!