Me and My Family

Me and My Family

24 January, 2013

Acts of Kindness

I don't do new years resolutions, but right now I am thinking a resolution I need to make is to write in my blog more consistently. It doesn't have to be a "new years resolution", just a commitment to myself, and my readers. Really, let's face it, there isn't much difference between resolutions, and goals. Is there?  I don't think so. When you lay them out, they seem very similar to me.
So, my goal then, is to write more often. Write better.
I also have a goal/plan to figure my computer out so I can put pictures in my blog again. That really sounds lame, and it's a big confession for me...I have a MacBook Pro, and I don't now much about how to use it. I can get on Facebook, Email, Bank accounts, blogs, but when it comes to downloading, editing, organizing and sharing pictures, I am clueless.
I load the pictures, then they pretty much go where they want, and I can look at them, but can't do anything else. Sounds so pathetic I know.
Okay, confession time over.
I now want to talk about mankind.
Generosity.
Strangers.
Random acts of kindness...or not random.
I got an email the other day telling me about rewards fundraising with the sight I set up my own fundraiser with. GofundMe.com
I clicked on the link they sent in the email and it took me to someones page. It was a young couple. Their story was touching. They want to have a baby. It's not been easy for them so they are trying to raise money to try all the latest and greatest medical options. They attached a rewards option to their fundraising. Meaning, they are offering certain rewards to people who donate certain amounts. The big draw is if you donate $8,000.00 they would name their baby after that person. At first read I thought they meant, the person who donated the amount that would put them at the $8,000.00 mark would be the  one they would name the baby after. After reading the further I discovered that what they meant was, if one person donated that amount, they would be the ones!!!!
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that one person DID it. He donated $8,000.00. He left a message stating his young age, his career path, and how he has money to spare and would love to spend it on a good cause (such as their's), rather then frivolous things like...well, like.....well, it doesn't matter. What matters is that seeing this warmed my heart! It reinforced the notion that there are wonderful, generous, charitable people out there. Even strangers. In general we each (hopefully) can count on our families to be there for us~maybe not with mucho cash~but you know, in a pinch we can count on them to help us out when need be. How often though can you faithfully count on strangers to be such a source of support?
It's refreshing.
It's generous.
It's inspiring.
It's heartwarming.
I actually went on Facebook and looked up this guy. He left his name on his message so I took that opportunity to find him. I did. I wrote him a message to tell him how impressed I was with his generosity. I asked him who taught him to be so generous. I told him if it was his mother, I hoped to be half that good at teaching my own son to be generous. Whether with is money or his deeds. I let him know that not everyone can give they way he did, but everyone can give something, even if it's service and not money.
For all those who have given of their money on my own fundraiser, I am forever grateful. For those who have given of their time, attention, friendship, I am equally grateful.
I just wanted to share this story with everyone. I was so touched by it.
Blessings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment